PPP Dialup

From: James Caasi (jamesky@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 03:50:25 EDT

Hello Guys,

      We have a 3662 with a RAS using the NM-8AM analog modem. We have a
Cisco IOS 12.2(5d)fc1 release software.

     The problem is that users can only achieve a maximum connection speed
of 21.6kbps whereas what I know is that the modems are reated V.34 or 33.6k.
We were expecting a performance of about 31.6k or 28.8k connection for
users.

      One thing that we are certain is that there is an issue with the
grounding as explained in the Cisco website.

      Before, we were using a 2600 with async terminals having external
modems of USR courier V.Everything (33.6k) and all the lines worked. No
complaints from users (connecting at 28k for most user).

      My questions are:
1. Why are we connecting at lower speeds? We have already grounded the
router and still have lower connection speed from the user.
2. Can the modem emulated by the router be changed to usr_courier? It is now
emulating microcom_mimic and has no settings on its AT commands.

     I need your help in understanding further on this RAS issue.

Best regards,
James