RE: [nsp] broadcast limit on Cat3500XL switches?

From: Deepak Jain (deepak@ai.net)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 13:45:13 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Gert Doering [mailto:gert@greenie.muc.de]
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 1:38 PM
To: Deepak Jain
Cc: Gert Doering; Andrew Fort; cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [nsp] broadcast limit on Cat3500XL switches?

Hi

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 12:24:40PM -0400, Deepak Jain wrote:
> I have noticed some significant performance penalties if you try to do
storm
> control on GE ports on a 3500XL, YMMV...

Storm controls "if configured" or "if active"?

I could live with the latter (if I have a broadcast storm that's bad
enough that I need the switches to cut in, performance is down anyway).

gert

--

I mention it because I hope I was doing something poorly. But once configured on a GE interface moving about 30mb/s @ 4000 pps [not much] the switch's performance dropped to the toilet. The unused GE interface on the same switch [connected, but no traffic] did not cause the same problem.

I would guess that the ASIC does not handle storm control and that the CPU can't inspect packets fast enough.

DJ