Re: [nsp] in/out byte counters 3524

From: Ryan O'Connell (ryan-nsp@complicity.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 05:12:22 EDT

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:09:44 +0000 Chris Johns <chrisjohns_cisco@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am after some advice, I have a 3524 and I want to set it up so that
> every
> 5 mins it sends the in/out byte counters to a server (as raw data) and
> clears the counters.
>
> What is the best way to attack this? Any documents to read would be
> handy.

Run MRTG on a server to collect the data via SNMP.

http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html

I believe the file format it uses to store the data is documented and can
be used for other applications too - YMMV, I've never actually tried it as
I just use it to draw pretty graphs.

You can't do anything on the switch that will "push" the data to the
server, one way or another you need a process on the server to pull the
data off.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan@complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines, I'm just learning new things with the passage of time