Re: [nsp] Recording login sessions ?

From: Dave Spencer (dspencer@nightfall.forlorn.net)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 18:20:21 EDT

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 11:46:53AM -0700, Keith McCallion wrote:
> > I have tried using the unix /usr/bin/script to however if the noc
> > techs kill the telnet session in windows then nothing gets
> > logged.
> >
> > I know it not strictly cisco related I am just hoping someone
> > has already got something like this working in there own NOC?
>
> I think you went down the right path. I would restrict where users can
> connect from (via an ACL on the vtys), and then force users to login to
> that machine, where they get a custom shell that uses script to log their
> session.

If script(1) is too simple for your tasks, you might look into using
expect(1). It should be easily possible to parse out the router's prompt
and use it as the delimiter in what output to expect from the router.
I've had a little difficulty in expect's logging functionality, getting
it to do exactly what I was wanting, but it should work if you can spend
some time tweaking it.

-Dave