RE: [nsp] Gigabit Ether Channel on Cisco 12000s

From: Mikael Abrahamsson (swmike@swm.pp.se)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 04:47:04 EDT

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Matt Ryan wrote:

> LOL - having work in the OIBU with Chris (albeit for only 18 months) I'd
> have to agree with his version as well. While in other places Cisco use
> Cabletron maths (as I believe is the right place to lay this blame) the GSR
> switching fabric is not one of them.

So, on a 12012 with:

1 Route Processor Card
1 Clock Scheduler Card
3 Switch Fabric Cards

What is the available aggregate useful packet bandwidth in the backplane
to a 3GE card?

Will a 3GE be able to run all three ports full (if the pps limit is not
reached) or not? If there is a backplane limit, is this leveraged in case
some packets can be forwarded between the ports on a single 3GE (ie the
card have higher "internal" capacity than the backplane can support) and
then it can run all three ports full?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se