Re: [nsp] OSPF - merging area 0s.

From: Kirby Files (kfiles@UU.NET)
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 11:30:12 EDT

Quoting Phil Sykes (jpsykes@hotmail.com):
> Hi,
>
> If one was to merge two networks running OSPF, and the number of
> backbone routers in the merged core network would be too high for
> fast OSPF convergence, would having a router running two OSPF
> processes on the border between them, and redistributing routes into
> each area from the other be a solution anyone would recommend?

I would not recommend such a solution. Balkanizing your IGPs is
always bad. You will need to have more than one router doing this
redistribution, for resiliency, and therefore you will need to change
the admin distance on one OSPF process to make the routing
deterministic. In addition, you will need to redistribute in both
directions, always a recipe for trouble, no matter how careful you
are.

The real solution is to adjust your merged area 0 to reasonably
reflect your new topology. Limiting the size of your area 0 will
control the flooding problem, which is the main scalability problem
you want to address.

You shouldn't have a real problem with too many LSAs in the TD, unless
you are carrying way too much in your IGP. Avoid making common
mistakes, like running OSPF on customer links, or other unnecessary
links.

  --kirby