RE: [nsp] Catalyst 5505/WS-X5225R and 10/100 autodetection

From: Wade Williams (wwilliam@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 15:32:46 EDT

> "Am I doing something wrong? The very same Sun (as I've pointed out later)
> autonegotiates very nicely with 3com switch, meaning that there is NOTHING
> wrong with NIC's drivers. So I make an assumption that there is something
> wrong with the catalyst switch, as it's behaving erratically in
> my opinion"

While I'm no expert in it, I've been told that when autonegotiation started,
there were no standards. Although there are some standards defined, I think
they might still leave a lot of room for interpretation.

The end result is, it's always hit and miss. That Sun may work perfectly
with the 3Com, but you may hook a PC up that has a brand XYZ NIC in it and
it might not work with the 3Com but may work flawlessly with the Cisco.

In short, rather than chasing around trying to find the perfect NIC's that
work with the perfect switches, I think most people just set both ends
manually and go work on something else.

Wade

Wade Williams "Put your message in a modem, and throw
Systems Engineer, CCIE #3373 it in the cyber sea."
Cisco Systems, Inc. - N. Peart
Brentwood, TN
615-221-2918
wwilliam@cisco.com