Re: [nsp] GSR and E3 cards.

From: Neil J. McRae (neil@COLT.NET)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 10:02:57 EDT

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:19:25 +0200 (MET DST)
 Niels Bakker <niels@euro.net> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, why not use T3's instead? The trend among telcos is to
> charge the same for both since they have to reserve the same amount of
> bandwidth on their SDH networks. I'm not a Bellhead so I could be wrong
> about this, but I believe a T3 is easier for them to deliver than an E3
> because they need less hardware to convert stuff (STM1 and T3 are both
> VC4? I heard).

Its historical, we have E3s in certain locations until the telcos
woke up and started to offer DS-3's.
E3 and DS-3 use the same VC, STM-1 is a VC-3. There is no additional
effort, just config. At the moment I have alot of PA-2E3's that I'd like to
use, maybe I'll try and trade them...

What cisco and others should really have done is to offer a E3/T3
switchable card, I believe some vendors have already done this.

Regards,
Neil.

--
Neil J. McRae                             C O L T  I N T E R N E T
neil@COLT.NET