Re: [nsp] bit rate accuracy?

From: Nicholas Bastin (nbastin@opnet.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 09:26:57 EST

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 17:27, George Robbins wrote:
> You have way too much faith in software.
>
> MRTG isn't magic, if it's missing a sample point, it displays the last
> value one. If sample intervals are missed or randomly scattered due
> to MRTG box performance issues, it will wrap 32-bit counters and not
> warn you about it.

Ok, well I was debating whether to include that point in my email - I
guess I should have. MRTG can't miss data unless it misses packets.
Also, you should always use 64-bit counters where possible, for obvious
reasons. In any case, unless you have major packet loss issues, it's
still a lot more accurate (or meaningful, at least) than Cisco's running
average.

--
Nick