switches that die and resurrect

From: Thomas Kernen (tkernen@deckpoint.ch)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 21:16:17 EST

I seem to have an interesting bug that no one has ever come across and
Cisco's RMA people are not enjoying for the least. I have had 3 switches
die within a short period of time. 2x 2912XL and 1x 3548. Always the
same issue, they run fine and suddenly freeze and then reboot. When they
reboot it's straight to POST code. All switch lights stay on except for
port 1 and 2 which are off.

So you power cycle once, twice, still no change. So you replace the
switch, get it RMA'd and by the time it reaches the supplier or Cisco
well it works just fine. So they start to complain about boxes being
RMA'd for nothing.

Everything else in the rack (7206, Sun E250s, Firewalls, PCs) all work
fine, only the switch has an issue. We checked it for heat issues, the
temperature is ok (approx 24° C). The power distribution is the same as
for the other machines in the rack, most if not all Ethernet cables have
been replaced. We even moved racks to make sure but the problem still
occurs.

If anyone has any idea what could be the problem I would love some
feedback since no one I know seems to have any suggestions other than
what we have tried.

Thomas