RE: [nsp] traceroute and icmp

From: Scott Morris (swm@emanon.com)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 15:43:10 EST

No. Traceroute is simply program.

Unix and Cisco IOS choose to use a UDP variant of it. Microsoft uses a
straight ICMP.

Either way, it's done by incrementing the TTL field, which would cause each
router along the way to send back ICMP TTL-Exceeded messages (per the RFC,
typical behavior).
Until the trace program finally reached it's end desination. In which case,
the unix/IOS programs would get an ICMP Port-Unreachable message back since
they sent a UDP message, and Microsoft's tracert program would receive an
ICMP Echo-Reply message back.

So trace isn't PART of ICMP, it simply USES ICMP.

Scott