Re: [nsp] MPLS setup

From: Eric Osborne (eosborne@cisco.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 21:11:02 EST

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 08:59:26AM +0800, Nick wrote:
> We run a small/medium ISP here with 5 PoPs and were flirting with
> the idea of running MPLS more for TE than QoS or VPN. Can I believe
> all the hype on MPLS and the wonders it promises.

Yes. It's all true. MPLS-TE is not only a dessert topping, it's a
floor wax, too!

> Are there any good resources/books for ISPs - a lot of the
> resources/books are more for IP-VPN. Or am I going the wrong
> way. Has any one successfully deployed MPLS in an ISP environment?

MPLS-TE has been successfully deployed in a good number of large ISPs,
and is being designed into more.

As far as cisco docs, there's quite a few. What sort of stuff are you
looking for - basics, or more advanced mojo?

> Any hints/pointers/time of day is much appreciated.

CCO search for "mpls traffic engineering" and "mpls-te" are both
pretty good. A good thing to start with it

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120t/120t7/te120_7t.htm

but feel free to ask questions if you have more.

eric