Re: [nsp] MPLS setup

From: Eric Osborne (eosborne@cisco.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 06:54:27 EST

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 08:38:30AM +0100, KF wrote:
> And what about latency? Isn't it increasing ? Can't afford it on our BB...

If you had to pick between increased latency and better throughput, or
lower latency and less throughput, which would you pick? You already
have mechanisms to make this choice on an IP network (IGP knobs, BGP
knobs, static routes, GRE tunnels, other hacks). MPLS-TE is just
another tool in the toolbox.

And yes, QoS - WRED, WFQ, all that stuff, still applies. MPLS-TE does
nothing to increase or reduce the efficacy of QoS (and by Q I mean
Quality, not Quantity) on a backbone.

eric