Re: [nsp] Compatible Fast Ethernet Module for 2651?

From: Ryan O'Connell (ryan@complicity.co.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 17:00:27 EST

No, the Fast Ethernet modules don't work in the 2600s - I've looked
myself before. You need to get a 3660 to get this sort of port density
and CPU power combined which is a shame. Another option is to hook a
2651 up to a Catalyst 2912 using trunking - given the CPU limits on
even the 265x series, that should probably give you just as much
throughput and the same features as you'd get with a 12-port 2650!

Are you sure you've seen the FastEthernet ones in 2600s before? It's
more likely to have been a 10Mb/s card - the NM-1E and NM-4E work in
2600s fine. Obviously speed isn't as good, and you also lose trunking
but if you really do need the ports to be totally seperate it'll do
the job.

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 01:42:36PM -0500, Jason Mealins wrote:
> I am currently looking for A Fast Ethernet Module for
> our 2651, but from looking through entirely too many
> product catalogs it looks to me that cisco doesn't
> offer a fast ethernet module for the 2651, I thought
> the NM-1FE-TX was compatible as I have seen the module
> used in another 2600 series router before, but from
> the documentation that I see it seems to be only
> compatible with the 3600's. Being that it costs a bit
> of money I wanted to make 100% sure that it was
> possible to use it in the 2600 with IOS 12.3 Plus IP.

         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan@complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines, I'm just learning new things with the passage of time