Re: [nsp] Couple of CEF oddities

From: Sean Butler (sbutler1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 13:02:42 EDT

Alan Hannan wrote:

> It is a generally accepted perception that
> cisco OSPF does not scale past a certain point,
> and that external routes in OSPF exacerbate the
> overhead issue quite significantly.
>
> I'd highly recommend you transition to IS-IS.

This would not really explain why SPF calc's run
longer on about 3 out of a 70 or so routers that
are all in the same area, when these 3 routers are
*not* the most heavily loaded in terms of packets
per second, bits per second, interfaces, bgp
peers, ospf neighbors, frame pvc's, etc. etc...

There are less than 2000 external routes in OSPF,
and while that is high, the network was running
with 6000 until we did some iBGP things, without
exhibiting this strange behaviour.

Add to that the fact that SPF calc. triples with
CEF enabled on these 3 boxes only, and it makes
for something extremely odd!

Thanks!
/Sean