Re: [nsp] questiont seondary ip address command

From: Kai Schlichting (kai@pac-rim.net)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 14:07:03 EDT

At 01:16 PM 10/28/99 -0400, Tatsuya Kawasaki wrote:
>I was told that secondray ip address command is not recommend for
>perm. network.
>Does anyone have used command for perm. network and experiencing some
>problem?
>
>Tatsuya

yes. I had an issue with 11.1.17CC on a 7204 with FastEther (single),
connected to a BayStack350T switch with several configured VLANs.
I served the different VLANs from a switch port that was member of
all VLANs (in Cisco-speak: trunk port, except that the Bay doesn't
require trunking), with the FastEtherX/0 port having secondary
IP's for every VLAN.

In some instances my inter-VLAN traffic going through the router would
mysteriously drop to a measly <500Kbps (!), despite the router not
breaking into sweat (cpu load: 2-4%). This also happened with
some traffic coming out of a VLAN and hitting another (SerialX/X)
interface on that 7204 - e.g.: not being re-sent out of the FastEther.

I was too busy with upgrades and running a production network to play
with this - the problem went away since I replaced the BaySwitch (f'ing
unreliable pieces of sh*t ! One doesn't do IP MC right, the next one
craps out if you load it with >20Mbps, the last one forgot it's management
IP address every 24 hours!) with a 2926 (ok, that's quadruple price
per port unfortunately, but at least its known to work), and do full
VLAN trunking with ISL and FastEther subinterfaces. Everything's fine
since then.

Now someone tell me: why oh why did Cisco , in their infinite wisdom,
chose to not show FastEthernet (ISL) subinterfaces as full interfaces
via SNMP, as opposed to say: Frame Relay sub-interfaces ? I now
have to add up and count VLAN traffic across the 2926 switch. Argh.

Note that I consulted a CCIE friend of mine about this problem, and he
was rather concerned. Didn't seem to be a regular occurrence, so this
might work in your favor.

bye,Kai