Re: [nsp] cat 6500 failure mode question

From: Ryan O'Connell (ryan@complicity.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 13:57:54 EST

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 10:44:51AM -0800, Steve Francis wrote:
> Is it possible for an MSFC2 to fail (e.g. DRAM problems on MSFC2) but
> the Sup II to keep running fine?
> (assuming no redundant SupII/MSFC2 in the chassis.)

Yes. You can simulate this by trashing the IOS on the MSFC and rebooting it -
the switch continues to run fine.

> Does the ability of the Sup II to keep running as a switch depend on it
> running hybrid OS on the system? If not, and you are running native
> IOS, how does it behave? Do all layer 3 commands just no longer get
> parsed?

I would imagine behaviour in such situations would be "undefined" but would
probably involve the switch crashing not very gracefully.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan@complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines, I'm just learning new things with the passage of time