Re: [nsp] How to block Nimda in PIX or router

From: Nick (nick@arc.net.my)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 21:38:32 EST

There was some concern running class-map based Nimda filtering on routers. I
have heard of cases where routers have 'hung' because of the load the router
has to go through. We have tried the other method of redirecting all http
traffic to our cache engine and letting the filtering be done there. Even in
this case our cache engine packed up and went into a comatose state. So we
then stopped Nimda filtering and resorted to the tiresome manual method of
warning our customers and administrators of Nimda originating networks.

Any real difference between running the class-map filter with a pure ACL and
in this case via a ACL/route-map combo. Of course the pure ACL method is not
recommended due to high load -anything else?

Any comments?

-nick