[nsp] basement multihoming

From: Charles Sprickman (spork@inch.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 15:36:39 EST

Hi,

We currently have our own AS and a single upstream. Since we'd been
planning for quite some time to get a second upstream, we run BGP with our
existing upstream. We get a full table from them and announce our
netblocks to them.

We have made an agreement with another provider in the co-lo space to back
each other up... I'm wondering what my options are here; it's strictly
for backup purposes. I've considered announcing routes to both upstreams,
padding heavily to the backup, and doing a floating static default. Is
there really any point in taking two full views for this simple
configuration?

We connect to both upstreams via FE, and both hit a switch before the
router. In a situation where an upstream's router is down, but their
switch is up, would there be any way to detect that in my simplistic
floating static scenario?

Thanks,

Charles