Re: [nsp] E2 termination on a 7206

From: Alex Bligh (amb@gxn.net)
Date: Sat Oct 30 1999 - 08:11:03 EDT

> So here's my question.... since the circuit vendor claims that an E2
> circuit from BT is NOT a sub-rate E3 and it is in fact E1-G.703, and if
> E1-G.703 is E1 only, and anything that terminates an E1 on a cisco (short
> of a PA-MC-E3) can only do 2Mbps .. what can I use to terminate an E2 on
> my Cisco 7206 ?

An E2 is *not* a subrate E3. Just like a T2 is not a subrate T3. It's
clocked at 8Mbps (ish). In my opinion it is an outdated standard.

> I have been told by a very reliable source at Cisco that playing with "dsu
> bandwidth" on a PA-E3 will do the right thing .. and I totally agree ..
> but I would like to get some real world input as to how most people with
> functional E2 circuits terminate them on thier Cisco gear.

I do not believe a PA-E3 will support anything other than an E3,
thus it won't support an E2. dsu-bandwidth controls how many channels
of a fractional E3 are assigned.

Option 1: Ask your circuit vendor to provide a subrate E3 (or better
subrate DS-3) at either end.

Option 2: Use some external DSU to convert to HSSI. Digilink and/or
Kentrox may do such a box.

Option 3: Use an ADM to drop your E2 into an E3 (I think this works
but have never tried it).

Lack of sensible support for this outdated circuit type is the main
reason why some of us never touch them with a bargepole.

I would suggest you pay careful attention to what is at the other
end of the link. I'm sure there is a framed vs unframed issue for
E2, just like there is for E1 (i.e. G.704 being there or not).

--
Alex Bligh
GX Networks (formerly Xara Networks)