[nsp] 75xx: GEIP vs. VIP & PA-GE

From: Steven W. Raymond (steven_raymond@eli.net)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 14:34:42 EST

The following Cisco link describes the GEIP architecture. It is
basically a VIP2-50 with some sort of GE port adapter integrated
onto it:

http://cisco.google.com/cisco?client=cisco&q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecisco%2Ecom%2Fcpropart%2Fsalestools%2Fcc%2Fpd%2Fifaa%2Fifpz%2Fggethifpz%2Fprodlit%2Fgeip_ds%2Ehtm+GEIP

This other link (down towards the bottom) makes it somewhat clear that
one should not use a PA-GE on a 75xx, GE option is GEIP or GEIP+.

http://cisco.google.com/cisco?client=cisco&q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecisco%2Ecom%2Funivercd%2Fcc%2Ftd%2Fdoc%2Fpcat%2Fgget__i1%2Ehtm+GEIP

Question: What is the difference between a GEIP, vs a VIP2-50 w/ PA-GE
combination? What is makes the GEIP different than a VIP2-50? I can
see from a sh diag from GEIP EEPROM contents byte 21 = 0x21 (VIP2-50
is 0x1E).

I understand that there are throughput limitations on the
VIP2-50, and that VIP4s offer significantly better performance.
That's why I was surprised to read that the GEIP is basically a
VIP2-50 with some GE PA attached. Am wondering why one cannot use a
VIP4 w/ PA GE on a 75xx (understanding that line rate won't be
achieved).

Thank you