RE: [nsp] Maximum length for RS-232 for serial console connections?

From: KF (kf@reign.sk)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 16:01:25 EST

Hi,

If you have AUX free or available, then use for long distance 2 modems configured as LL without compression protocol or if you some
oldiee power loops, you can have up to 19200 over some km...

lenght of RS 232 depend really on the chipset which has been used and cabling. STP (shielded) or S-STP (screened-shielded) cabling
could prolonge up to 200 m (that is what I had tested, have to interconnect both grounds but to the DTE and DCE must not have
connected ground!) but some cisco (think so Cat's XL) doesn't run well at 9600 orso.. it's dependent of chipset... Now it's time
that you should have a lot of analog modems and then there is no prob how to connect them over async for instance to the 2511 and
use reverse telnet.. with this you are capable to manage a lot of boxess... console port doesn't support flow control... aux do..

greetz

alex