[nsp] Cat 6500... what is really possible together...

From: KF (kf@reign.sk)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 07:37:42 EST

Hi,

Since I'm confused what can I combine together (hardware/features) with Cat 6500 and what is hardware/features difference between
SUP 2/SUP 1A; PFC/PFC2 ; MSFC/MSFC2 with chassis 6506/9/13, I decide to share mine questionaries with you..

Cat 6500 is VERY interesting MARKETING box.. since it can do almost everything.. "-)

What is the difference (features) and future support (is cisco goin' to migrate at the future to the native IOS at 6500?) between
Hybrid and Native IOS support? Where can I obtain whole research, features/support/hardware in one place?

I want to combine this features together if possible on WIRE SPEED...

Firewalling (ACL/antispoofing/DoS preventing/statefull checking..)
Content switching (not Accelerated SLB... using CSM, what is switched in ASICs? , scripted health checking, bandwidth management,
further SSL offload ..)
MLS
HSRP..
NETFLOW Export
QoS (CAR, allocate and prioritize traffic..NBAR/DSCP)

An idea behind is to build up an server farm, where each server (group of) should have it's own security policy and reside at self
VLAN and traffic will be content switched..is necessary to have some BANDWIDTH management of L7 traffic or CAR physicaly per L2
port or defined by QoS. need of maximalized redundancy (not the marketing one ;-)

Many Thanks for any imput..

alex