Re: [nsp] Cisco DS3 Questions..

From: Jesper Skriver (jesper@skriver.dk)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 16:18:07 EST

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 09:16:08PM +0100, Niels Bakker wrote:
> * jesper@skriver.dk (Jesper Skriver) [Fri 22 Feb 2002, 20:53 CET]:
> > We allways use PPP, the primary reasons being:
> >
> > - The line protocol goes down when the line is looped.
>
> Is that dependent on encapsulation used? I don't think so:
>
> !
> interface Serial0
> down-when-looped
> !
>
> is the magic command, if I recall correctly.

Yes, when doing HDLC, PPP will newer come up on a looped line.

And as I said before, it's not default in HDLC, so it's like not to be
configured on a CPE device.

> > - It's easier to debug than HDLC
>
> In what respect? I've had less need for debugging circuits with HDLC
> than with PPP due to authentication templates I talked about before,
> and the physical interface counters are the same.

debug ppp neg

is a lot easier for me to read than

debug serial interface

It could be that I'm more used to it, but all the I've seen you've seen
etc is really annoying, at least I think.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)

One Unix to rule them all, One Resolver to find them, One IP to bring them all and in the zone to bind them.