PIM SM rendezvous point

From: Tom Scott (telecomtom@dacor.net)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 07:27:13 EST

Multicasters,

We're trying to get PIM SM running to support enterprise-wide
conferencing, using a static rendezvous point. According to the
documentation, we shouldn't have to configure the ip pim rp-addr command
on the RP:
"The RP discovers that it is the RP because all the other routers are
pointing to it as their RP and are subsequently sending registers to it.
"

However, we get the following error message on the RP (10.108.1.1):
00:23:26: %PIM-6-INVALID_RP_JOIN: Received (*, 239.255.80.75) Join from
10.108.1.2 for invalid RP 10.108.1.1

When we insert "ip pim rp-addr 10.108.1.1" on the RP, then the error
messages stop. Is the documenatation simply mistaken, or more likely,
are we forgetting to do something simple?

We may later configure a mapping agent with Auto-RP but for now we want
the manual control.

-- TIA, TT