RE: static routing

From: Scot Donovan Blair (sblair@cerf.net)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 13:27:49 EST

Ahh weird.. I never knew that about the gateway when specifying an
interface.. hrm never looked or noticed..

CEF gives you per packet and equal cost allows for source/destination load
balancing. Ive done this a million times and graph utilization at about
49% to 51% per 2 T1's. Ive never enabled CEF on anything smaller than a
7513 so I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting on a 3640 as Im unaware of
the ramifications from doing so or how it operates or even if it would.
The 2640 are just WIC's right? Im not implying it would be a bad thing
just not sure of the specifics as Ive never thought to do so.

There are other optimizations you can use as well like "down-when-looped"
so the route goes away in the case of a loop in the circuit (which it wont
do by default etc etc etc). The beauty of this business is there are 1000
ways to skin a cat.. :)

-blair
AT&T CERFnet
Backbone Engineering and Planning