Re: [nsp] ATM/LANE counter64 always zero

From: Jared Mauch (jared@puck.nether.net)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 13:09:50 EDT

        The explanation i've heard (and I think it does make a little bit
of sense but is mostly a crock, if you have it, put the right
value in it) is that if one has an interface that isn't fast enough
to roll in a reasonable amount of time (t1, ds0, bri, etc..) the
64-bit counters are not used and one should use the 32 bit counters.

        i've found this to not be an absolute with cisco (not too shocking)
if you have a 3600 with a FE interface that can roll that fast.

        Cisco needs to organize their snmp code such that this
will no longer be a problem. It's tiresome to collect stats
which don't mean anything, lose a few days of data while
tracking down that router X doesn't return usable values in
its 64-bit counters, while router Y does.

        - Jared