Re: Secondary interface error

From: jlewis@lewis.org
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 09:18:09 EDT

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Tejal Shah wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> when i create secondary interface on my 1700 series
> router i am getting the following error....
> "Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only
> allowed if that
> subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE
> 802.10, IEEE 802.1Q,
> or ISL vLAN."

To get additional addresses on the ethernet interface, rather than
creating sub-interfaces, you just go into the interface and say something
like

ip addr 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0 secondary

You can have several (many?) of these...they're all just tagged as
'secondary' addresses in the config.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |