Null (non-telco) DS3 questions.

From: Kevin Nicholson (kcn@skycache.com)
Date: Mon Nov 22 1999 - 14:37:47 EST

Is there a special trick to getting a non telco DS3 (i.e. two coax cables
that I ran in the same room between two routers/DSUs, flipping the
transmit and receive on one side) to work ?

in rtra I have a 2 port POET card configured like this;

interface Serial1/0
 description null DS3 to rtrb-h0-0
 ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.252
 no ip directed-broadcast
 encapsulation ppp
 framing c-bit (also tried m13)
 cablelength 50
 dsu bandwidth 44210
 dsu mode 1 (also tried dsu mode 0)
 clock source line

in rtrb I have a kentrox SMDSU configured like this;

DSU mode
CLK:I (internal timing, should provide clock on the DS3)
access class 5 (does this matter ?)
HSSI port active
Framing C-BIT (also tried M13)
Low power transmit
no recv eq
CRC 16

the HSSI interface on this box looks like this;

interface Hssi0/0
 description null DS3 to rtra-s1-0
 ip address 192.168.0.2 255.255.255.252
 no ip directed-broadcast
 encapsulation ppp

Carrier has always been up, line protocol never comes up, and I can only
see output on the interface of both sides. I tried reversing the coax and
running a few local loop tests to see if perhaps I have a bad peice of
cable .. no dice.. same thing.

any ideas ?

-Kevin