[nsp] TOS/DSCP marking on 6509 SUP

From: Hassan, Shehzad (shehzad.hassan@bell.ca)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 22:44:49 EDT

I would like to start with a couple of very simple questions on 6509 running
Hybrid Code CATOS 6.3.3 and MSFC code 12.1aE5.

1. The default behavior of 6509 is QoS disabled,
 considering a lab scenario, if TOS=7 data is entering FE-port 3/25-VLAN100
and exiting port 2/25-VLAN21 (WS-X6348-RJ-45-48 Port FE), will the TOS value
be retained ?

2. IF QoS turned on, no QoS attached to any of the VLANs or ports, if a
packet with TOS=7 enters and exits the ports/vlans mentioned above, will the
TOS value be retained ?
I have a similar scenario setup in my Lab and somehow every packet (I'm
sending ICMP TOS=7 packets) is getting stamped to TOS=0 whether I turn QoS
ON or OFF.

* If I turn on QoS, match for ICMP packets and re-stamp to another TOS value
it works as expected.

I did some search on CCO and found following:

Configuring Quality of Service (release 6.3)
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_6_3/confg_gd/
qos.htm
QoS Default Configuration
Table 41-3 shows the QoS default configuration.
Note:
With QoS enabled and all other QoS parameters at default values, QoS sets
Layer 3 DSCP to zero and Layer 2 CoS to zero in all traffic transmitted from
the switch.
This answers my 1st question,

But my problem is even though the QoS is turned off everything is getting
stamped with TOS=0,

Any comments/experiences ?

SH