Re: [nsp] Measuring latency between two points

From: C. Jon Larsen (jlarsen@richweb.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 20:58:49 EDT

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Phillip Heller wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 03:38:02PM +0000, Chris Roberts wrote:
> I need an automated way to measure the latency between two Cisco
> routers. Currently I'm looking at some kind of scripted ping -
> has anyone come up with a better way of doing this that's easier
> to automate?
>

> How about NTP?

I have a perl tool that looks at just that - NTP latency between routers
as tracked by the ntp process in cisco IOS. It uses rsh command to gather
the output of "sho ntp as" from a router that has various peers and then
it alarms up with emails when thresholds for configured latency are
exceeded. You setup a little perl hash that matches up with each router's
set of peers that you want to track.

It is integrated with some library code that I have so there would be a
bit of perl hacking involved to make it useful as a stand alone tool.
Still, I'll send anyone who is interested a copy.

-jon

--

C. Jon Larsen Chief Technology Officer, Richweb.com (804.307.6939) SMTP: jlarsen@richweb.com (http://richweb.com/cjl_pgp_pub_key.txt)

Richweb.com: Designing Open Source Internet Business Solutions since 1995 Building Safe, Secure, Reliable Cisco-Powered Networks since 1995