Re: [nsp] MSFC2 128,000 route limitation

From: Ian Cox (icox@cisco.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 07:53:32 EDT

This documentation is incorrect and we will get it fixed / clarified.

The TCAM that holds the FIB table is capable of holding 256,000 entries.
Without unicast RPF checking turned on the maximum number of unicast
entries that can be held in the hardware FIB table is 244,000. The
remaining 12,000 entries are reserved for multicast routes. If unicast RPF
checking is enabled then the number of routes that are held in the TCAM is
halved.

You can exceed the capacity of the hardware forwarding table, and the
consequences are that the routes that are not programmed into the TCAM that
holds the FIB table will be switched in software by the MSFC2 / RP.

Ian