Re: [nsp] Mapping traffic into MPLS tunnels

From: Sean Crocker (crockers@mail.trinicom.com)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 16:29:00 EDT

>1. Using the "tunnel destination" command, and then "autoroute announce"
>to inform the routing process of the tunnel's existence. In the figure,
>assume that I have a tunnel between R1 and R3. Then, if I set the tunnel
>destination to be R3, all traffic between R1 and R3 would use this tunnel,
>right? (assuming that the tunnel metric is the shortest path between R1
>and R3).

Yes

>Also, can I set the tunnel destination to an IP address other than R3? For
>instance can I set the tunnel destination to C2, and would this have the
>effect of sending all traffic between R1 and C2 via the tunnel?

Sure, you can set the destination to something else, but I
think you're misunderstanding what "tunnel destination" does.
It specifies the TE egress LER, not the FEC.

>2. Setting static routes to use the tunnel interface. e.g. "ip route
><dest_addr> <mask> tunnel 10"

That's one way but may not be optimal. Setting a relative or
absolute metric on the LSP, then configuring "autoroute
announce" as you mentioned above is a more standard way.

>Is there any other technique that allows one to have more control over the
>traffic that can be mapped into an MPLS tunnel? (Say by specifying an
>access list to map the traffic, or by using other IP header fields etc.?)

Sure, policy based routing. You match packets based on
criteria you define, then you "shunt" the matched packets
across the LSP (out the Tunnel interface).

Sean