[nsp] Transparent cache-redirection

From: Martin Cooper (mjc@cooper.org.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 15:37:07 EST

Does anyone here do transparent cache-redirection (i.e. client
machine tries to connect to some port on random Internet host
and you redirect the request to the same port on a local cache),
and if so, what's your favourite method and why?

I see that Ciscos have a web-cache redirect feature, but this
looks as though it requires an external Cisco cache-engine to
make it work, and I really want to redirect to a UNIX system
for services other than HTTP as well (e.g. SMTP). Logically
I can't see how this can be done with policy routing, so I'm
guessing people do it using NAT or something similar?

Cheers,

Martin