Re: [nsp] Obtaining BGP change info from routers

From: Glen Turner (glen.turner@adelaide.edu.au)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 20:28:40 EST

> I would like to be able to gather data on changes in my BGP routing tables,
> i.e. new advertisements and withdrawals associated with incrementing within
> the table version. Is there a way to gather this data via SNMP-pull,
> SNMP-traps or some other method?

One way to instrument BGP is to run the Zebra BGPD on a UNIX
workstation as a peer to your Cisco's BGP. Obviously you don't
advertise any routes from Zebra.

Zebra logs BGP route changes, but you can hack the source to
do what you please.

Because of the way BGP works, you only see changes in the
best routes (ie: the ones in use). This might be desirable
or not.

--
 Glen Turner                                 Network Engineer
 (08) 8303 3936      Australian Academic and Research Network