[nsp] Legacy CoS vs MQC on GSRs

From: Sean Crocker (crockers@mail.trinicom.com)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 07:59:51 EDT

Folks,

Is anyone out there using MQC instead of legacy CoS CLI on GSRs
for engines other than Engine 3? How well is it working for you
in practice, or did you drop it and continue using legacy CLI?
So far, the MQC limitations I see are:

-No alternate priority queueing (SPQ only). Is this a showstopper
for you?

-No tofab dWRED.

-No ability to apply dWRED by codepoint/precedence bits to
packets going into the SPQ (unless I'm overlooking a way). Not
sure if this is advisable, but I'm looking for a way to prevent
starvation of other queues in case the linecard's hardware can't
rate-limit the low-latency traffic within a certain percentage
of bandwidth.

-No ability to place packets into specific CoS queues compared to
the legacy "precedence/dscp x queue y" command (or am I mistaken?).

Any other limitations? Any observations?

Thanks,
Sean