RE: [nsp] eBGP multihop - how to count?

From: Harold Ritter (hritter@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 22:54:25 EDT

Stephen, Chris,

The minimum value of 2 configurable on the "neighbor ebgp-multihop" command
will allow you to connect to a router that is one or two hops away. I
presume that when ebgp multihop was introduced the assumption was that the
non connected peer would be at least two hops away. Hence the minimum value
of 2 for the "ebgp multihop" command.

At 07:43 PM 6/20/2002 -0500, Stephen Gill wrote:
>I'm not quite sure what topology you are referring to here but at the
>end of the day, I don't think it really matters that ebgp-multihop is 2
>or 5 or 10. All you are doing is limiting the scope of your EBGP
>visibility on a hop count basis.
>
>-- steve

Harold Ritter, CCIE 4168
Advanced Network Services - ISP East
Cisco Systems
300 Apollo Drive
Chelmsford, MA 01824 USA
Phone: 978 497 3129
Fax: 978 497 3129
Cisco Systems- "Empowering the Internet Generation."