RE: [nsp] eBGP multihop - how to count?

From: Harold Ritter (hritter@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 23:16:20 EDT

Stephen,

See comments in-line.
At 09:58 PM 6/20/2002 -0500, Stephen Gill wrote:
>One hop = ttl of 1 = no ebgp-multihop no?
>Two hops = ttl of 2 = ebgp-multihop of 2
>etc...

This is right. Except that on a eBGP session, the IOS will check if the
peer address is directly connected. if it isn't, it will expect the
ebgp-multihop command to be configured or else will not attempt to
establish the session. So even if you're one hop away from the peer but not
directly connected (using loopback), you need to use the ebgp-multihop command.

>I would presume that when a packet arrives, a router will not worry
>about decrementing a TTL if it is destined to another net on itself (ie

This is correct.

>loopback). Thus, Loopback A on R1 to Loopback B on R2 would only
>require multihop of 2 assuming R1 and R2 are directly connected.

TTL of 1 would suffice to connect to R2 even though the connection is from
loopback to loopback.

>-- steve

Cheers,