[nsp] rate-limiting on a trunked per-VLAN basis

From: Troy Cobb (tcobb@rocketlauncher.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 03:07:44 EDT

I'm currently evaluating edge switches for an ethernet metro build and need a little help with rate-limiting options.

The circumstances are that each port at the edge will need to be a VLAN trunk, with 2 or more VLANs on each. However, I need to rate-limit traffic on a per-VLAN basis, as well as potentially on a per-VLAN + DiffServ/TOS basis.

I'm currently doing this by backhauling all traffic to the metro core, and limiting on a per-dot1Q subinterface basis at a router, but I'd prefer to rate limit at the ingress point to the network so that I don't have to oversize the backhaul links. I also don't really want to place routers further out into the network.

Anyone with experience doing this with Cisco switches? Can the new 3550 EMI boxes do this? Documentation is unclear on this.

(I'm not a Cisco bigot, so I'm also looking into using Extreme or Foundry as these edge devices if they serve the need better...)

Thanks in advance,

- Troy Cobb
  RocketLauncher, Inc.