Re: POS problems

From: Niels Bakker (niels@euro.net)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 06:43:25 EST

Jim Warner wrote:

> We're having problems with a new POS OC-3 circuit to an ISP.
> The symptoms are intermittant but occur frequently. The line
> often so bad it's not usable. One piece that seems to be
> a consistent symptom is that the display from sho controller pos
> looks like:
>
> SECTION
> LOF = 0 LOS = 0 BIP(B1) = 0
> LINE
> AIS = 0 RDI = 0 FEBE = 0 BIP(B2) = 0
> PATH
> AIS = 1 RDI = 1 FEBE = 30 BIP(B3) = 7774681
> LOP = 0 NEWPTR = 0 PSE = 0 NSE = 0

Been there, done that.

Get a cleaner set (one alcohol-soaked tissue - no lemon scent, one clean
and definitely non-fluffy tissue) and clean the ends of the patch cables
going into your PA-POS.

I've turned my brane to mush reading ITU-T G.707 trying to find out what
B3 vs. B1 and B2 errors are, and this turned out to be the cause of this
particular set of errors. At the installation of the STM1 after that, I
watched every move of the telco engineer to make sure all SC cables were
cleaned properly (they didn't have a microscope at the time of delivery,
so they couldn't really check the cleanliness of the cabling, and before
delivery they had only tested against a loop on the patch panel).

Take care,

        -- Niels.