Re: policy routing performance

From: Rafi Sadowsky (rafi@meron.openu.ac.il)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 15:08:52 EST

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Edward Henigin wrote:

> Available in the 'T' train, so if I want that and turboacl
> I will see them together in 12.1?
ask Cisco ;-)
the tests ran 12.0(5)S

> Hank: were those tests done using NPR?
(hope you'll forgive me for not being Hank ;-)
yes - see my previous mail & comments by Oded Comay <comay@post.tau.ac.il>
Oded isn't on the NSP list you may want to CC him

> Based on your config
> (since I saw 'ip route-cache policy' AND 'ip route-cache flow' both
> under the interface) I would guess that yes, that included NPR.
> If so, the performance seems as though it leaves a bit to be desired.
> It looks as though it uses 15% cpu per 3Kpps, it looks as though
> you'd be pegged at around 18Kpps. (I'm going to need scalability
> beyond that...) Then again, that was through a tunnel, and I do
> believe that going through a tunnel increases the overhead.
??? - Quoting Oded ( mail sent to the list today )

--
Please note that tests using new features in IOS 12.0S showed a much
improved performance when using policy routing and GRE tunneling (see

 AFAIK the GRE tunnel runs on the RSP & the policy routing on the VIP's
so you can do capacity planning by VIP CPU only

Rafi > > Ed > > -- > On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 07:08:05AM -0800, Barry Raveendran Greene said: > > Hello Ed, > > > > Try Netflow Policy Routing: > > > > http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120 > > t/120t3/policyrt.htm > > > > Barry > >