Re: [nsp] DS3 rtt

From: Mike Horwath (drechsau@tiny.net)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 09:31:55 EST

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 09:19:56AM -0500, Brandon Applegate wrote:
> We are getting avg. 25 msec on ping tests from the following link:
>
> pa-t3 <---- 600 mile DS3 (clear channel, full) ----> pa-t3
>
> Packet size does not affect our times.
>
> Can anyone give me their $ .02 on this ?? I am mainly concerned with the
> delay induced by the circuit itself, as we are able to tweak the router
> config on each end.

25ms isn't all that bad.

You are traveling 600 miles and the speed of light is still an
unbroken rule.

If I did my math right, the minimum latency is 3.17ms based on 189Kmph
for light through a vacuum.

Add in hardware issues and switching issues and 25ms doesn't seem all
that bad at all.

--
Mike Horwath  Admin & Manager @ VISI.com   WORK: drechsau@visi.com
IRC: Drechsau     http://www.visi.com/     HOME: drechsau@geeks.org