Re: [nsp] Half-duplex 10BASE-T interfaces of a Cisco 4x00

From: Jesper Skriver (jesper@skriver.dk)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 11:00:06 EST

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 09:52:01PM -0500, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Does someone know a trick in order to make use of the 2 half-duplex Ethernet
> interfaces of a Cisco 4000 (or any other 4x00) in the same subnet ? A single
> half-duplex interface can barely forward and receive 4 Mbps of full-duplex
> traffic, and I'm trying to figure out a way to activate the other
> half-duplex interface on the same subnet to share the load. Input by one
> interface and output by the other is one ideia, but any load-sharing
> mechanism is wellcome.

Or create a custom cable, that on the end to the switch is a ordinary
cable, but takes RX and TX pair into 2 different connectors, that goes
to 2 different ports on your 4000, say Ethernet0 is the recieve, and
Ethernet1 is the transmit

interface Ethernet0
 ip address X.X.X.X Y.Y.Y.Y
 transmit-interface Ethernet1
 no shutdown
!
interface Ethernet1
 no shutdown
 ! mac-address H.H.H

You may have to manually set Ethernet1's MAC address to the same as
Ethernet0.

Note, I havn't tried this, but I cannot see why it shouldn't work.

If you try this, please tell the result - or I might just try it out
myself ...

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver, jesper(at)skriver(dot)dk  -  CCIE# 5456
Work:    Network manager @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)

One Unix to rule them all, One Resolver to find them, One IP to bring them all and in the zone to bind them.