SYSLOG and SNMP Trap Manager

From: David Greer (GNC) (david-greer@gnc-hq.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 16:06:32 EST

Question for all you good folks,

We are trying to find a good package to handle SYSLOG and SNMP Traps from a
variety of sources and ideally place a call to our paging service through a
modem directly attached to the PC. We want to do it this way to lessen the
number of other devices that it must pass before leaving our facility.

Ideally this software would run on a Windows 9x or NT platform. Also a
filter capability would be helpful, so that link-down's for ethernet's in
the IDF don't go to my engineers, but that a fiber link in the IDF would.

For instance, the program we currently use to page us with SYSLOG entries
goes through our internet e-mail server and then on to our provider. That
means that the syslog passes through about 10 pieces of hardware before
leaving. What if (as has happened) that the piece of equipment is along
that path. No message so our engineers think everything is ok - dokey.

Dave Greer