Re: [nsp] Ethernet errors between 7500/PA-FE-TX and 3548XL switch

From: c.spurgeon@mail.utexas.edu
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 12:13:26 EDT

>On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 10:20:08AM -0500, c.spurgeon@mail.utexas.edu wrote:
>> Although it may sound odd, this is most likely an example of
>> auto-negotiation performing as designed.
>
>Thanx,
>
> This explained the reason we had to manually configure an Alteon
>switch to Full duplex while connecting to a 7206VXR...
>
>IS there a specific reason way Cisco doesn't do auto negotiation on
>the FastEthernet interfaces on their routers??

I don't know. Auto-negotiation is optional in 100BASE-TX, so vendors
aren't required to support it. Since these router interfaces are
fixed-speed, perhaps Cisco decided that auto-neg didn't provide enough
value to justify the cost of supporting it. Given the problems caused
by duplex mis-match due to parallel detection, however, I'd like to
see auto-neg support on all ints.

-Charles