Re: [nsp] Accepting ips from outside our network.

From: Cliff Judge (cliff@broccoli.skycache.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 18:59:47 EDT

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Dale Hege wrote:

> We have recently had one of our customers who currently has 4 /24s of ours
> want to run then with another service provider to have redundancy. We
> currently have filters in place to remove traffic & routes comming from
> the Internet onto our network from IPs that are within our network. Is
> this the right thing to do? We could poke holes in our filters but should
> we? Any advice or experience on this matter whould be great.
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Dale

Don't poke holes in your filters to allow advertisements of these /24's
from any AS other than your customer; traffic from your network will
prefer to transit the customer's other provider and he'll recieve no
incoming traffic on the link from you. (YMMV despnding on how you
aggregate your networks I suppose).

What you SHOULD do, however, is allow your customer to announce these
/24s to you, and send those announcements on to your peers. I.e. don't
filter her advertisements. The Internet at large will (for the most part)
see two announcements for each of the /24's, and this will help them on
the quest for the elusive balanced load.

-%
Cliff Judge Network Engineer
301-598-0500 x2866 Cidera, Inc