Re: PM3/cisco/OSPF question?

From: Brian (signal@shreve.net)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 20:29:55 EDT

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, John Gonzalez/netMDC admin wrote:

> I'm just now getting ready to turn up OSPF on our network here, but i'm
> trying to do it as slowly as possible as to minimize possible mistakes.
>
> What i'm looking to do is turn up OSPF on one particular PM3 only for now.
>
> Unfortunately, the PM3 in question is in a seperate /24 as the routers
> ethernet port.

not a problem

> I have been informed that cisco's wont do OSPF on secondary addresses,
> correct?

correct

> I also have an extra ethernet port on the router, which got me
> thinking. What happens if you plug in two ethernet ports into the same LAN
> on a cisco router? I could setup the e1/0 interface with a primary ip
> address in the same /24 as the ether0 on the pm3 in question. But would
> this cause weird things to happen for the router?

no it wouldn't..........but your ip addressing should reflect your network
topology. Is there a reason the pm3 needs to be in a different /24?
Perhaps this is a good time to change that.

> Secondly, assuming i get the first step working and make sure that all is
> well and that the eth0 on the cisco and the pm3 are in the same /24, does
> the /29 that i want to assign a customer over the pm3 need to also be in
> that same /24 or does it not matter. I'm assuming it shouldnt matter what
> /24 the /29 is allocated out of, but i want to double check.

It doesn't matter. So long as the "routers" announcing and listening
have interfaces in the same network then you are ok.

> Forgive me for being a newbie, just trying to learn :(

Brian

> --
> __ __ \ __ \ __/_ __ `__ \/ __ /_ ___/ MDC Computers/netMDC!
> _ / / / `__/ /_ / / / / / / /_/ / / /__ (505)437-7600/fax-437-3052
> 2:00pm up 48 days, 20:03, 4 users, load average: 0.13, 0.13, 0.09

Brian Feeny (BF304) signal@shreve.net
318-222-2638 x 109 http://www.shreve.net/~signal
Network Administrator ShreveNet Inc. (ASN 11881)