[nsp] ethernet wan (sortof)

From: Andy Waltz (andy@one.net)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 13:09:22 EDT

Here is the situation. Telco is providing 10 Mb ports off of a Xylan
pizza switch, these are point to point riding a DS3. Currently we have
two in place each on their own pizza vlan, using simplex between a 7507
and a 3640. We now need more bandwidth. We have a couple of options,
first pulling the switches off and using the ds3, but the telco would kill
us on pricing. Or we can buy additional 10 Mb ports on the xylan
relatively cheap.

Basically i have a two fold question. First, should there be any reason
that we couldn't put trunking capable switches on each side of the xylans,
trunk the 2, 3, or 4 ports out from the xylans, and hand off a single port
to the routers (100 Mb). Second, if you don't think the trunking scenario
would work, any other suggestions as to how to aggragate this scenario
into more bandwidth (adding additional simplex ports isn't really an
option as the 3640 is fully populated).

Thanks for your assistance,

andy

----