[nsp] dual-homed issue

From: Jason Lim (jas@staff.singnet.com.sg)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 10:25:11 EDT

Hi all,

Actually, I need advise in dual-homing policy with our lease line
customers. We have encountered some issues on lease lines customers
wanting to dual-home their connection with our ISP(ISP1) and other
ISP(ISP2) and this demand is growing. For example, a customer with two
connection to ISP1(AS100) and ISP2(AS200) would be getting 203.222.100/24
from ISP1 and 155.169.22/24 from ISP2. Customers wants redundency by
asking ISP1 to advertise 155.69.22/24 and ISP2 to advertise
203.127.100/24 as well.

The reasons why it's an issue because

1) These customers are not running BGP. I understand that conditional
advertisment with BGP can solve the problem.
2) These customers wants ISP1 to advertise IPA blk which belong to
other ISP2 and likewise for ISP2 to advertise ISP's IPA

Well, currently there is now no mutual agreement with other ISPs to do so.

I would like to know :
1) How will like to know how will it impact ISP1 and ISP2 in term of
routing advertisment,tables,etc ?
2) Will ISP1 and ISP2 have problems of routing holes for advertising
routes belonging to other ISPs' ASes.

I am not sure if there are any other technical implication.
How does other ISPs in US or other parts of the world
dual-homed their customers' who do not run BGP(only statics route)?
 What are the pros/cons of doing/not doing this ??

Thank you very much
Regards
Jason
SingNet NOC