Re: [nsp] RES: [nsp] Ethernet backup interface

From: Franklin Lian (Franklin.Lian@globalone.net)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 17:52:42 EDT

Dmitri Kalintsev wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 02:04:19PM -0300, Loureiro, Rodrigo wrote:
> > OK, I have forgotten this primary issue. The primary interfaces addresses
> > must be on the same subnet, as the virtual address, so it won´t work this
> > way.
> >
> > Does anyone have another idea ?
>
> Use BVI's.

Hey, this is a very interesting idea. BVI will give you certain
redundancy between the two interface on a router, however I guess it
introduces more problem than the benefit. Besides of the IOS code
support (bugs and IOS feature set), the BVI is a process switching
interface that won't give you good performance and meanwhile, you
may play with spanning tree to get the primary/secondary interface
which means a lot of management overhead is waiting for you. I would
rather to buy another box instead of dealing with the bridged network
and spanning tree.

Flian